The arrival of a brand New Year is always a good time to think about new projects, changes and novelties in your life.
It’s also the right moment to decide what are going to be the English learning goals that you want to reach by the end of the year.
What Are The New Year’s Resolutions?
As you maybe already know New Year’s resolutions are promises that you make to yourself to start doing something good or stop doing something bad on the first day of the year. What about to prioritize your English in your 2014 resolutions?
You can use this “special” moment to stop and think about your English improvement:
- How did you do during the past year in order to learn English?
- What are you going to do this New Year to improve your English?
Think deeply about these 2 questions and then you have to:
- Put in the ground a very big milestone in the first day of the year to know:
- What are the goals you want to achieve by the end of 2014?
- What strategies are you going to follow in order to reach your goals by the end of the year?
- In the last day of the year you are also going to stick another big milestone because it’s when you are going to check and evaluate your work during the year to evaluate if you really reached your goals!
How To Write Down Your Enlgish New Year’s Resolutions
If you want to succed when choosing your resolutions you have to avoid resolutions that are too general or abstract like for example:
“I’m going to do a lot of work to improve my English.”
You have to write down specific and clear goals that you can easily visualize like:
“I’m going to improve my reading skill by reading a book per month (12 books total).
I’m also going to work my writing skill by writing an entry in my personal diary everyday (365 entries total).”
Be aware that you have to commit to work hard during the year in order to reach your resolutions.
It’s very easy to give up or to postpone your work because the end of a new year always seems to be so far…
My Personal New Year’s Resolutions For 2014
I have been thinking deeply about what are going to be my New Year’s Resolutions In order to improve my English.
After analyzing this past year I think that I’m going to have to clear goals that I want to reach by the end of the year.
Apart from writing down my two 2014 resolutions I also commit to work as much as possible to reach them or at the least to almost reach them by the end of the year.
Then…Let’s write down my 2014 English resolutions…
My first New Year’s Resolution…
I want to focus on improving my English speaking level that I have neglected for too much time.
I specially want to improve my pronunciation and my accent that nowadays really suck.
In order to reach my goal:
– I’ll speak with my English speaking friends at least for half an hour per day.
– I’ll also look for materials that can help me to improve my speaking skill.
My second New Year’s Resolution…
I’m aware that my second resolution is pretty ambitious and difficult…
I’m going to prepare for the Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) during 2014.
I’ll take my exam during the first weeks of 2015.
In order to reach my goal:
– I’m going to plan a specific strategy to work the different sections of the exam.
– I’ll have to work on a very regular basis in order to reach the skill levels expected on the exam.
I know beforehand that this exam is difficult because you need to have a very good level of English.
…Nevertheless, I will try!
– Share with us your English New Year’s Resolutions.
– Write down your resolutions in the comments below in order to commit to them.
– I’m the first one to write down my resolutions.
– Now it’s your turn!!! Go ahead!!!
Copyright © Learn English Like Me and learnenglishlikeme.com, (2012-2016).
Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author is strictly prohibited.
Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Learn English Like Me and learnenglishlikeme.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.